5 Gutter Problems That Can Cause Expensive Damage
Most people don’t stop and think about their gutters until there is a problem. There are many more things that can go wrong with your gutters other than the obvious malfunction that happens when they pull away from the house. Homeowners should assess their gutters at least twice annually to ensure proper performance. Neglected gutters can translate into big expenses. Below you will see some common gutter problems that can cause expensive damage.
- Failure to Clean- When limbs hang over the house, sticks and leaves get trapped inside gutters, unless you have installed a system that prevents clogged gutters. When gutters are full of debris, they do not allow for water to properly drain and can cause damage to your home’s foundation.
- Improper Installation- When gutters are not installed correctly, water will not properly drain and will require re-installation, which is costly.
- No Drains or Splash Blocks- Downspouts that go directly into the ground without draining into a pipe or diverted by a splash block will result in foundation problems and can allow for water to enter the basement.
- Loose Gutters- When gutters are loose and not securely fastened to the home, moisture will build behind the gutter and damage the fascia. This rotten wood will invite insects and possibly rodents into your home or garage.
- Downspout Clog- Cleaning out the gutters is important, but if downspouts are clogged and neglected, even the cleanest of gutters will still malfunction and cause back-ups, which can wreak havoc on your shingles, fascia, and foundation.
Neglected or poorly installed gutters can have costly implications for homeowners. If your gutters are in need of repair, contact an expert before minor problems become major. Those living in Oakland County have many roofing contractors to choose from, but only about 5% of construction companies have performed so consistently and well enough to earn Angie’s List’s Super Service Award. Paramount Building is a Super Service Award recipient and is eager to help you with all of your gutter related problems. Contact the friendly and helpful staff at Paramount Building today for a free estimate!